The original Elvis UK, by John Townson, Gordon Minto and George Richardson is available as a Flipbook from now on.
The press release
Following the successful release of Elvis UK3 The Ultimate Guide To Elvis Presley’s British CD Releases 1983-2005 as a Flip book in February 2021, co-authors John Townson and Gordon Minto are pleased to announce that their original book – the long out-of-print Elvis UK – published in 1987 – is now to be made available using the same digital technology but with an additional 60 pages of ‘bonus material’.
Our prime reason for making this book available is due to the constant requests for hard copies as it went out of print in the late 1980s. Unfortunately, a physical reprint was not an option, owing to extremely high production costs – just as it wasn’t for Elvis UK3. However, unlike the latter project - which we wanted to be able to update when required – Elvis UK will be available as a download. The document will not be held on a digital platform and accessed via the internet, but will be available on the buyer’s own device.
Importantly though, the original book appears exactly as it was in 1987 as it has not been possible to make any textual amendments as the book did not exist in a digital form.
The original Elvis UK was a 565 page hard-backed reference book, published by Blandford Press, dealing with the then hitherto largely unexplored subject of Elvis Presley’s UK record releases from March 1956 through to 1986, nine years after Presley’s death. The digital copy of Elvis UK features:
- Every individual record release – singles, EPs (extended play releases) and LPs issued on HMV, RCA and third party labels between 1956-86 – in great detail and in chronological order
- Each entry included detailed track information as well as writers’ names, release dates, and chart entry positions
- Every release and re-release carefully cross-referenced
- Label and sleeve variations identified and dated
- Introductory sections which include background to the issuing companies, comprehensive information about details printed on labels and the process of how records were made
- Chronological and alphabetical listings of all main sections, including catalogue numbers details and release dates
- A various artist section dealt with releases which featured one or more Elvis tracks
- A section detailing promotional records
- Hundreds of illustrations
- An Interview and spoken word index
- A full list of every song showing where it appeared, cross-referenced with page numbers
Plus - 60 pages of bonus material – which includes the following:
- The Making Of Elvis UK
- Golden Grooves
- LP Re-issues
Fortunately, in tranferring Elvis UK into the Flip format none of the original search features have been lost. On the contrary, the comprehensive contents and indexing system built in to the original book has been accentuated by the highly intuitive navigational features offered by Flip. Searching is much easier and quicker.
In our view, this move represents the only sensible and cost-effective way of making this valuable and much-sought after reference work available to a much wider audience – but at the reasonable and affordable price. The download version of Elvis UK, complete with 60 pages of bonus material section costs just £20.
More about this release (and others in the series) and how to order it can be found on our website – www.elvisukbooks.co.uk